When your braces are put on, our staff will review with you the types of foods that should be avoided during your orthodontic treatment. Please do your part in avoiding certain foods in order to prevent breaking your braces, wires, or appliances and delaying your treatment time. You are in control!
The first few days after your braces are put on, your teeth will likely be sore and you will want to stick to a soft diet. Some examples are: soup, pasta, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, milk shakes, popsicles, ice cream, pancakes, soft cooked vegetables and so on.
Once your teeth are not sore anymore, you can eat most foods. However, there are some foods you should AVOID. Foods that are hard and/or sticky should be avoided.
HARD FOODS. Hard foods can break brackets, bend wires, and cause bands to become loose. This can delay your treatment time and cause you to be in braces longer than estimated. Avoid the following hard foods:
- Hard candies (Jolly ranchers, Tootsie rolls, Lollipops, Starbursts…)
- Hard breads (Bagels, French bread, Pizza Crust)
- Popcorn (Biting on a popcorn kernel can break brackets and loosen bands)
- Meet on a bone (You need to take the meet OFF of the bone of chicken and ribs)
- Corn on the cob (Do not bite into corn on the cob. It’s okay to eat corn sliced off the cob or from a can)
- Raw vegetables (Vegetables should be cooked)
- Apples (Do not bite into an apple, instead cut it into very thin slices)
- Thick style chips and pretzels
- Ice (Do not chew on ice)
- Sunflower seeds (Cracking the shells open with your teeth can break off your braces)
STICKY FOODS. Sticky foods can get stuck to your braces, bands, or appliances and pull on them. This can cause damage. It’s also hard to clean sticky food off of your braces. Please avoid the following sticky foods:
- Tootsie Rolls
SUGAR. Surgary foods and drinks should be avoided because they can cause unwanted cavities. If you eat something sugary, be sure to brush your teeth right after. You should limit the amount of sugary foods and drinks in your diet. For example:
- Soft drinks
- Juices high in sugar
- Ice cream